Transgender & Genderqueer identities page from the GENDER book
Hey Boston, how’s the research going? Remember, as you’re learning about all of these identities, that they are only the tip of the iceberg. It’s okay to identify simply as transgender, as a mix of those identities, none at all, genderqueer like me, or make up something that fits you better!
Bigender describes those who alternate between two distinct gender roles. May be crossdressers or drag performers.
Intergender describes those who identify between the traditional masculine and feminine genders.
Ambigender describes those who identify to some degree with both the masculine and feminine genders
Genderfluid describes those whose gender behavior and presentation changes depending on the situation or their mood.
Pangender describes those who identify with all the genders.
Polygender describes someone who identifies with many (though not all) of the genders.
Agender describes those who identify with having no gender or a neutral gender. They may present androgynously or seek to make their bodies more gender-neutral to match their identity. Sometimes also called neutrois.
Third gender describes those who identify with a (often non-Western) gender that is neither masculine nor feminine. See “gender across cultures” on page 6 for more!
Genderqueer describes those whose identities fall outside of the widely accepted gender binaries. Many of the identities [above] could also be described as genderqueer.
They have a great diversity of expression and presentation. An individual who identifies as genderqueer could display few gendered cues to many (potentially conflicting) ones. It’s not really about how they look, though. What genderqueer individuals all share is a nonconforming gender identity and an opposition to gender systems that they perceive as strict or limiting.
ed note: We affirm that labels are starting points for further conversation. A single word can never encapsulate a whole person. You probably have lots of intersecting identities that only scratch the surface of who you are. Gender is one part - what are some others?
We humbly acknowledge the limited scope of these pages. If you don’t see your identity words here, we empower you to tell us so we may include it in the final version!
(cc) the GENDER book project. in progress snapshot presented for community editing and feedback. Please direct all notes to email@example.com or comment using disqus on the original post to ensure your voice gets heard. Thanks!
- i-hate-my-first-name-tonks likes this
- panicroom666 reblogged this from thegenderbook
- alleyfant likes this
- datobin212 reblogged this from thegenderbook
- datobin212 likes this
- radryro likes this
- thewilsonblog reblogged this from thegenderbook
- jaetothewynn likes this
- jaetothewynn reblogged this from thegenderbook
- woofwoofs likes this
- kitdubhran reblogged this from thegenderbook
- kitdubhran likes this
- youthservicesofpersad reblogged this from thegenderbook
- theyouthproject likes this
- ajrtigerlily reblogged this from thegenderbook
- thegenderbook reblogged this from flatwhiteweekends and added:
- flatwhiteweekends reblogged this from thegenderbook and added:
- flirtatiousjellyfish likes this
- rad-cereal reblogged this from thegenderbook
- rad-cereal likes this
- mustascha reblogged this from candypups
- themodernqueer likes this
- choose--to-be-happy likes this
- a-wrenegade-wrendition reblogged this from thegenderbook
- panpandaberry likes this
- loser-bruiser likes this
- ambigen reblogged this from thegenderbook
- thefogisrising likes this
- captain-lavaguava likes this
- letsbegoofy reblogged this from highheelslowreps
- highheelslowreps reblogged this from thegenderbook
- highheelslowreps likes this
- squishmaster likes this
- brealeylou likes this
- illcount-thiscurse likes this
- robintumblin reblogged this from thegenderbook
- merfefs likes this
- homosexual-panacakes likes this
- candypups reblogged this from thegenderbook
- senpaimami likes this
- pansycub likes this
- rainbowwriting230592 likes this
- heir-egbert reblogged this from karkatvantasfan
- karkatvantasfan reblogged this from thegenderbook
- captjacksparkness reblogged this from charlesdarwing
- charlesdarwing likes this
- charlesdarwing reblogged this from thegenderbook
- 666ggg likes this
- mdirtymind likes this