Transgender & Genderqueer identities page from the GENDER book
Hey Boston, how’s the research going? Remember, as you’re learning about all of these identities, that they are only the tip of the iceberg. It’s okay to identify simply as transgender, as a mix of those identities, none at all, genderqueer like me, or make up something that fits you better!
Bigender describes those who alternate between two distinct gender roles. May be crossdressers or drag performers.
Intergender describes those who identify between the traditional masculine and feminine genders.
Ambigender describes those who identify to some degree with both the masculine and feminine genders
Genderfluid describes those whose gender behavior and presentation changes depending on the situation or their mood.
Pangender describes those who identify with all the genders.
Polygender describes someone who identifies with many (though not all) of the genders.
Agender describes those who identify with having no gender or a neutral gender. They may present androgynously or seek to make their bodies more gender-neutral to match their identity. Sometimes also called neutrois.
Third gender describes those who identify with a (often non-Western) gender that is neither masculine nor feminine. See “gender across cultures” on page 6 for more!
Genderqueer describes those whose identities fall outside of the widely accepted gender binaries. Many of the identities [above] could also be described as genderqueer.
They have a great diversity of expression and presentation. An individual who identifies as genderqueer could display few gendered cues to many (potentially conflicting) ones. It’s not really about how they look, though. What genderqueer individuals all share is a nonconforming gender identity and an opposition to gender systems that they perceive as strict or limiting.
ed note: We affirm that labels are starting points for further conversation. A single word can never encapsulate a whole person. You probably have lots of intersecting identities that only scratch the surface of who you are. Gender is one part - what are some others?
We humbly acknowledge the limited scope of these pages. If you don’t see your identity words here, we empower you to tell us so we may include it in the final version!
(cc) the GENDER book project. in progress snapshot presented for community editing and feedback. Please direct all notes to email@example.com or comment using disqus on the original post to ensure your voice gets heard. Thanks!
- q-amor reblogged this from thegenderbook
- q-amor likes this
- sleeplessbones reblogged this from karkatvantasfan
- sleeplessbones likes this
- karkatvantasfan reblogged this from thegenderbook
- karkatvantasfan likes this
- deducive likes this
- krisseycrystal likes this
- yellowbananaredvelvet reblogged this from thegenderbook and added:
- nori-dono likes this
- alexcbyron reblogged this from thegenderbook
- theeyecollects likes this
- pro-thinking reblogged this from feminishblog
- misianiewieocokaman likes this
- raphanizein-thebootylord likes this
- lordddorian likes this
- vehks reblogged this from thegenderbook
- vehks likes this
- neoplants likes this
- buttleyjames likes this
- genderqueerrat reblogged this from thegenderbook
- foxxyanimool likes this
- iamsochangeable reblogged this from thegenderbook
- iamsochangeable likes this
- dinosaursonmymind likes this
- c0nd35c3nd1ng-c4t45tr0ph3 likes this
- prettyprincen reblogged this from thegenderbook
- wingedherooflegend likes this
- treelamphug reblogged this from thegenderbook and added:
- stoneinmyhand reblogged this from whisperingwillowsteaks and added:
- nervousvirgin likes this
- downmitderpatriarchy reblogged this from hiohmegan
- hungergaems likes this
- quartermaster-past reblogged this from the-ugliestchristmas-sweater
- ihopeitrainsthereallthetime reblogged this from leatherandcherryblossoms
- leatherandcherryblossoms reblogged this from laniebugs
- pleasetakemyhandjohn likes this
- laniebugs reblogged this from john-locked-in-the-mind-palace
- laniebugs likes this
- torukun1 reblogged this from flyingtit
- torukun1 likes this
- john-locked-in-the-mind-palace reblogged this from issybird
- kawaii-kthulhu likes this
- fortunehime reblogged this from complaincan
- the-ugliestchristmas-sweater reblogged this from issybird
- namethatghostling reblogged this from justleftyagain
- justleftyagain reblogged this from wellroundedcharacter
- justleftyagain likes this
- klamklos likes this